Tuesday, July 14, 2015

It's not a "fix"

           To say this journey has been emotionally and mentally exhausting is an extreme understatement. Justin and I have only taken our first few steps down this long road and we are already feeling the weight on us, especially with Colston's entry into the world just a week away. 

           There are so many questions we get asked when people find out about his heart condition. There's the typical, "What is HLHS? What does this mean for when he is older? What causes it?" Etc.

           
           I truly think the most emotional part is explaining to people that none of these surgeries are a "fix".  I know people mean well when they say, "At least there are surgeries and treatments to fix his heart." But no. 

There is no fix or cure for HLHS or any CHD for that matter.

We literally are just buying our son some time at life. How much time at life? We will never know.

I hope more than anything in this world that our son outlives us and I am so thankful we have the technology that we do. I couldn't imagine giving birth even just 30 years ago when surgery wasn't an option. 


On a lighter note, I got to tour Sunrise Hospital today and I am so happy and feel so comfortable that Colston will be well taken care of. 

8 days and counting. 






















1 comment:

  1. May you find the strength to face tomorrow in the love that surrounds you today ❤️

    ReplyDelete